08 Apr EUROPEAN EASTER BREADS
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp warm whole milk
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar
- 250 grams butter melted (if using salted butter, leave the salt out)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 9 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 to 1½ cups chocolate chips or raisins
For the glaze
- 200 grams/ 2 bars -white chocolate melted
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups + 2 tbsp warm milk, 6 eggs, 1 tbsp yeast, 2 cups sugar, warm melted butter, ½ tsp salt, ½ cup sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla and mix. This is best done with a stand mixer. Add 4 cups flour to make a batter with the consistency of sour cream. Cover with cling wrap and a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Once risen, add 5 more cups of flour; one cup at a time or until the dough no longer sticks to your hands to make a very soft and elastic dough. Stir in 1 to 1½ cups of chocolate chips or raisins, candied citrus peel or nuts. (Anything you like in your sweet bread). Cover and let dough rise another 2 hours in a warm place.
- Divide dough evenly into three deep 8″ baking pans, ensure your baking pans have been well oiled. TIP: Try not to handle the dough too much. Let dough rise uncovered in a warm place for additional 2 hours or until you see a significant rise.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Once the loaves are at room temperature, melt while chocolate over low heat and spread the melted chocolate over the tops of the bread.
- Use sprinkles to decorate.
Enjoy! We hope you love these delicious European Easter Breads as much as we do!