About Dental Health Week
Dental Health Week, which takes place in the first full week of August aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health in every aspect of their lives.
This year Dental Health Week has taken Oral Health For Busy Lives as its theme, with the aim of helping you to appreciate that, no matter how busy you are or where you are in life, it is possible to fit caring for your teeth and gums into an already-overcrowded diary. You may see caring for your teeth and gums as an optional extra, something to be put aside in favour of more pressing issues, but the fact is that it’s vitally important that you care for your teeth and gums every bit as much as anything else in life.
Top 4 Tips for oral health!
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush with a small head and flexible neck.
- Clean teeth systematically, holding toothbrush at gum line at a 45-degree angle.
- Don’t press too hard – too much pressure can damage gums and tooth enamel.
- Choose a toothpaste with fluoride and replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Make flossing part of your oral hygiene regime.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Ask your dentist to demonstrate the correct flossing technique.
- Ask your dentist if interdental aids will complement your flossing.
- Your children should floss too, start as soon as your child has two teeth that touch.
- Limit your sugar intake as it’s the single-biggest cause of tooth decay.
- Fluoridated tap water is best.
- Read ingredients label on food products as many have hidden sugars.
- Choose teeth friendly foods such as cheese, nuts and vegetables.
- Avoid snacking and grazing.
- Make sure you visit your dentist regularly, at least once a year!
Sunvalley Dental is here to help with all of your dental needs!