25 Feb Back to School Conversation Starters
Do you often ask your child how their day was at school, only to be given a one-word answer? If you have ever asked a child ‘how was your day?’. Nine times out of ten you’ll get ‘good’ as an answer and the conversation will come to an end.
Let’s be honest, school days can be long and tiring, so it’s understandable that kids might not be very talkative when they come home – but that doesn’t mean you should give up learning about their day and subsequent lives. The key is to ask detailed open-ended questions, here are some great conversation starters to help you out…
- What was your favourite subject at school today? Why?
- What was your favourite part of school today? Why?
- What did you learn at school today?
- What did you do during lunchtime today?
- How was your teacher today?
- What was the most interesting thing your teacher said today?
- Did you anything funny happen at school today?
- How much homework did you get today?
- What your favourite food in your lunchbox today?
- If you could pack your own lunch tomorrow, what would you pack?
- What books did you read at school today?
- Did you write a story today? Tell me about it
- Did you play any sports? What did you play?
- If you could change one thing about today what would it be?
- Did anything upset you at school today?
- Is there anything you learnt at school today that you need extra help with?
- Which friends did you play with today?
- Which kids did you sit with at lunchtime?
- Who are you looking forward to seeing the most tomorrow? Why?
- Who was the friendliest person in your class today? Why?
- Who did you hang out with the most today?