04 Jun Beef bourguignon – Recipe
Winter has set in and has the Gladstone News team craving comfort food!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 200g shortcut rindless bacon, halved lengthways, cut into 1cm strips
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 small pickling onions, peeled
- 400g small button mushrooms
- Green beans, to serve
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Salt, to season
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Heat remaining oil in dish. Add brown onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, until onion has softened. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Return beef and juices to pan. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Add stock and tomato paste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add pickling onions and mushrooms. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until meat and onions are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.