19 Dec Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
Get into the spirit of the season with some delicious chocolate peppermint truffles!
- 2 ½ cups milk chocolate buttons (for melting)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups melted dark chocolate and melted white chocolate for dipping
- 2-3 crushed candy canes
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the cream and increase heat slightly, while continuously stirring. Heat until the mixture just reaches boiling point. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the milk chocolate buttons. Stir gently, combining the chocolate with the butter-cream mixture until it’s smooth. Add in the peppermint extract and stir through. Place the pan in the fridge until the mixture is solid.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or melon baller, scoop out small balls of chocolate from the chilled pan. Working quickly (to avoid melting the chocolate), use your hands to shape and smooth the balls, then place them on a pan lined with baking paper. Repeat until all chocolate is used. Place the pan of truffles in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Melt the dark and white chocolate. Dip the truffles into the melted chocolate using a fork. Alternate between dark and white coats to keep the numbers even. Place the coated truffles on baking paper and sprinkle with the crushed peppermint sticks.
Recipe from Butter with a side of bread