09 Sep Here in history- The new Gladstone Town Hall
From 1869 the Gladstone Town Hall was situated beside the Customs House in Goondoon Street but in 1932, Alderman Ferris moved that the council apply for money to build a new town hall. By the end of the year the plans were ready, and work started on the new building at the corner of Goondoon and Brampton Streets.
The 15th September 1934 was the red-letter day when the Minister for Works, HA Bruce, unveiled the tablet to officially open the new town hall. The building presented a handsome appearance and was designed on the Renaissance style of architecture. The building was adorned with forty international signal flags from the Gatcombe Heads pilot station and the large assembly enjoyed the celebrations. The council moved into their new building immediately and it became the hub of community life. It was used as a baby clinic, picture theatre, balls, stage shows, bingo and all kinds of meetings.
The old town hall was leased to the Returned Soldiers League (RSL) and in 1946 its lease was surrendered to the RSL. The School of Arts building that was erected in 1914 on the site of the present Gladstone Theatre came to its inevitable end by 1946. The library was passed back to the town council and gradually found its way into the basement of the Town Hall. It was the focus point of the community and a venue for many events, then becoming the location of our local seat of government.
This building is the present Gladstone Art Gallery and Museum.