16 Jun Recipe: Apple Crumble
A filling of tender, cinnamon laced apples topped with a nubbly crunchy, golden topping.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins | Total: 55mins
1kg Granny Smith Apples( green apples), weight before peeling
1 tbsp white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice (or water)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats / oatmeal (quick cooking is ok)
1 cup white flour
1 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
125g / 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt
Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Peel apples, then cut into 1.5cm/ 3/5” cubes.
- Place apple in a bowl. Sprinkle with flour, sugar and cinnamon, then pour over lemon juice. Toss, then spread out evenly in a 1.5 litre/1.5 quart baking dish.
- Place Topping ingredients in a bowl. Mix until clumps form, like wet sand (see video). Spread over the apples, crumbling with fingers if required to get that crumbly topping.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and let stand for 10 minutes before serving (let’s the apple filling come together).
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream
Recipe courtesy of recipetineats.com.au