13 Jun Fun Facts about Flynn
- FLYNN IS ONE OF THE LARGEST FEDERAL ELECTORATES IN QUEENSLAND – SPANNING MORE THAN 133,000 SQUARE KMS
- THE ELECTORATE OF FLYNN IS BIGGER THAN ALL OF ENGLAND
- TASMANIA WOULD FIT INTO THE ELECTORATE OF FLYNN – TWICE!
FLYING THE FLAG FOR FLYNN
Named after the founder of the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) Reverend John Flynn, (1880-1951) also known as “Flynn of the Inland”
Reverend Flynn founded the Australian Inland Mission (AIM) which later became Frontier Services as well as founding what became the Royal Flying Doctor Service, the world’s first air ambulance.
Rev Flynn is honoured by the Commonwealth of Australia, featured on the Australian $20 note
FLYNN – RESOURCE AND ENERGY POWERHOUSE OF AUSTRALIA
- Three of Queensland’s largest coal-fired power stations – including Gladstone, Queensland’s largest power station.
- Port of Gladstone – Queensland’s largest multi-commodity port, housing the world’s fourth-largest coal export terminal.
- Mining resources and processed products exported to global markets
- One of the largest alumina refineries by alumina production capacity in the world.