14 Jul Rugby League Game on Fry Park
In 1950 the Port Curtis Rugby League competition consisted of three clubs and these were Valleys, Wallabies and Western Suburbs.
At this time, it was decided that independent headquarters were needed for the league, instead of sharing the showgrounds with other sports.
The Gladstone Rugby League committee found land on the corner of Dawson Road and Glenlyon Street that they could lease from the Gladstone Town Council and this was an ideal spot for the league at that time.
The Leagues new home was called Fry Park and was opened on 15th April 1951. It was named after Alfred Stroud Fry who was a great lover of sport and a former alderman of the town.
It was not until the Annual General Meeting on 26th February 1952 that the Port Curtis Amateur Rugby League changed its name to Gladstone Rugby League.