09 Apr Grandma’s slow cooked beef stew
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
- 500g lean beef, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ small swede, peeled and diced
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 400mL salt reduced beef stock*
- 200mL water
- 400g can no added salt diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Place beef and plain flour into a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Place a large heavy based pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes or until meat is brown. Remove meat from the pot and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan and cook onions, garlic and leek for 1-2 minutes, or until just softened. Add carrots, sweet potato, swede, celery, beef stock, water, diced tomato, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and beef to the pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low heat for approximately 2 hours, stirring approximately every 20/25 minutes.
- Garnish fresh parsley on top of beef stew.