13 Jan Recipe: Mexican-style baked sweet potatoes
10m prep I 40m cook I serves 4
These delicious Mexican-style baked sweet potatoes take jacket potatoes to a whole new level, and make an easy back-to-school dinner.
Top them with corn, shredded cabbage and salsa for a spicy alternative to traditional potatoes.
- 4 small gold sweet potatoes
- 1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 300g jar tomato salsa, mild
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Avocado dip, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Bake, turning occasionally, for 40 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a chargrill on high. Cook cornon grill, turning, for 10 mins or until lightly charred and tender. Cool slightly. Use a serrated knife to cut down side of corn to release kernels.
- Combine the black beansand salsa in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until heated through.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a slit lengthways in top of each sweet potato (don’t cut all the way through). Gently squeeze base of each potato to open slightly. Use a fork to mash flesh slightly.
- Spoon the bean mixture over each sweet potato. Top with cabbageand corn kernels. Sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve with the avocado dip.
Photo and recipe courtesy of taste.com.au.