07 May Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Surprise mum this Mother’s Day with breakfast in bed! This buttermilk pancake with triple berry sauce recipe will start off her special day in the best possible way. If your children are too young teach and make it with them this year, that way next year they can surprise you.
For the triple berry sauce:
- 3 cups mixed berries chopped, washed, and dried (I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the buttermilk pancakes:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk see note
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
To make the triple berry sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the berries, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries are tender and juicy, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and continue to cook another 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Keep warm while you make the pancakes.
To make the buttermilk pancakes:
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, and oil.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until wet ingredients are just incorporated. The batter will be lumpy and will contain pockets of flour – don’t over mix!
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy frying pan. Spread batter if it’s quite thick.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown, turning when edges are slightly dry.
- Serve warm with triple berry sauce.
If you can’t find or don’t have buttermilk simply add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or distilled white vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. Recipe makes 12 pancakes, serving approximately 4 people.