13 Feb Friend Park – Local History with Betty Laver
Henry Friend became Mayor of Gladstone in 1866 and again from 1869 to 1870 and was an alderman for many years. He was on countless committees while still running his prosperous retail store. He bought land at Barney Point and this was a popular meeting place long before white-man came to the area as local Aborigines also found it an attractive place to meet and feast. This became a favourite picnic spot for the citizens of Gladstone so Henry (Snr) donated it to the council for a park and it was named Friend Park.