30 Jul Recipe – Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, bone in (or 8 legs)
- 2 quarts (litres) chicken stock or broth
- 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed (adjust to your tastes)
- 7 oz (200 g) green beans, chopped in thirds
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 4 oz (120 g) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 quart (litre) of water, as needed
- 6 oz (200 g) vermicelli or egg noodles (or angel hair pasta)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion for 2 minutes, then add garlic, celery and carrots; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, broth (stock), crushed bouillon, green beans and corn kernels. Top up with water if needed to cover all of the ingredients.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil for about 4 minutes. Reduce heat, partially cover the pot with a lid, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred the meat; discard the bones.
- Add the chicken back into the soup along with the noodles. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes while stirring occasionally to separate noodles.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt in the soup (about 3 minutes, pressing leaves into the liquid with the tip of a wooden spoon). Mix parsley through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm.