02 Sep CELEBRATING WOMEN’S HEALTH WEEK 2ND TO 6TH SEPTEMBER
Gladstone Women’s Health Centre is a not for profit organisation for Women by Women.
For more about the services provided by the GWHC please visit www.gladstonewomenshealth.org.au
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
Laughter can be hugely beneficial to our health. In celebration of Women’s Health Week, Sue Ellen Pashley from the Gladstone Women’s Health Centre has shared some interesting facts about laughter… and why we should do more of it!
- Studies have shown that laughter can help relieve pain, increase your overall feeling of happiness, and increase immunity.
- Laughter increases the number of antibody-producing cells we have working for us and enhances the effectiveness of T cells. All this means a stronger immune system, as well as fewer physical effects of stress.
- A good belly laugh exercises the diaphragm, contracts the abs and even works out the shoulders, leaving muscles more relaxed afterwards. It even provides a good workout for the heart.
- Laughter connects us with others. Just as with smiling and kindness, most people find that laughter is contagious.
- Laughing raises both your energy expenditure and heart rate by about 10 per cent to 20 per cent.
- Laughter reduces the level of stress hormones like cortisol, epinephrine (adrenaline), and dopamine. It also increases the level of health-enhancing hormones like endorphins. Laughter increases the number of antibody-producing cells we have working for us and enhances the effectiveness of T cells. All this means a stronger immune system, as well as fewer physical effects of stress.
- You are more likely to laugh with other people than over a joke or funny movie. Social laughter (laughing with others) occurs 30 times more often than solitary laughter.
Women’s Health & Sexual Assault Services:
Counselling, Health & Wellbeing Programs, Trauma and Education Programs, Support Groups
Domestic Violence Counselling & Support Services:
Victim’s Counselling, Court Support, Security upgrade, Advocacy & Referral Service
All services are free and confidential
20 Tank Street, Gladstone Qld 4680 Ph: 4979 1456