03 Dec Maple honey mustard glazed ham
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Capilano Dark & Bold Honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 (about 8kg) whole leg ham, on the bone
- Whole cloves, to stud
- Stir the sugar, maple syrup, honey and mustard in a bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a large baking dish with 2 layers of non-stick baking paper. Place an oven shelf in the lowest position. Remove all other shelves. Use a sharp knife to cut around the shank of the ham, about 10cm from the end. Run a knife under the rind around edge of ham. Gently lift the rind off in 1 piece by running your fingers between the rind and the fat. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, about 5mm deep. Stud the centres of the diamonds with cloves. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Brush one-third of the glaze over the ham. Bake, brushing with glaze every 25 minutes, for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Storage tip – To store leftover ham on the bone, reserve the rind in step 2.
Swap it – For a different flavour, make a cranberry & orange glaze. Stir 2 x 275g jars Cranberry Sauce, 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice and 125ml (1/2 cup) port in a saucepan over low heat until combined. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug. Brush over the ham in step 3.